AP and Transfer Credits
- AP, IB, and CLEP Credit
- Transferology (Transfer credit database)
- Transfer Transition Program
- Course Equivalency Service
Beyond the Classroom
- International Internship Program
- Morgridge Center for Public Service
- Study Abroad
- Summer Health Professions Education Program -for 1st and 2nd year students who identify with a group that is racially/ethnically underrepresented in the health professions
- Undergraduate Research
- UW Student Job Center
Career, Professional & Graduate School Resources
- Biotechnology Industry in Wisconsin
- Center for Pre-Law Advising, UW-Madison
- Center for Pre-Health Advising, UW-Madison
- Find your PhD mentor through Google Scholar
- How to contact potential graduate advisors
- Grad School application timeline
- McNair Scholars Program
- SucessWorks career services
- Peterson’s (website for graduate program search)
Thinking about graduate school? Questions to consider asking a potential lab:
- Do lab members collaborate within the lab?
- Are lab members friends outside of lab?
- Describe lab mate relations? Are people friendly?
- How is the lab treated by the PI?
- What are the requirements for work hours? Work days?
- How are work place conflicts dealt with? (look for signs of tattle tailing to the boss)
- Is experiment funding limited?
- Are you expected to find funding for most of your projects?
- How many conferences are covered by the lab?
- What is the turnover rate? (rate of those that come into the lab and leave with the degree that they wanted)
- Do people leave the lab before they earn their degree? Why?
- What is the average length of PhD for students in ____ lab?
- Do grad student have freedom in what they research (to an extent)?
- Do grad students graduate with a first author publication?
- Can interdepartmental collaborations occur?
- Does the PI support continued education?
- Does the PI provide constructive support to help your projects?
- Are their lab meetings and how helpful are they? Do other members contribute their ideas on how to improve the project trajectory?
- How many vacation days do you get?
- Is it okay to take vacations?
- Will there be push back/penalties when you take vacations?
***Things to notice:
- PI making you avoid certain members – could be hiding the “ugly truth” of their lab
- Ie, an upset 6yr grad student without a publication